13 July 2006

fini!

This photo heavy post is brought to you by the letters F, I, N, the Cast-On podcast by Brenda Dayne, and coffee.


Dear Kristen,

The wedding afghan is FINI! Wahooo! It turned out much better than I ever expected, although it was still much narrower than it should've been. Ah, well. Meg and Kirk were appreciative and kind. It is soft and stretchy and should cover either of them from shoulder to toe. Sadly it will not cover them both at the same time. Alas, I forgot to take a picture after I had woven in all the ends, so below you will find the photo I took as soon as I cast off. :)

I still think the colors are hideous, but Kirk was adamant that the blue is absolutely perfect. Meg is already dreaming of baby afghans! God help me...
It was a battle to the very end as is evidenced by the lack of yarn left on the skein. For awhile I thought I might have to employ the "I have no yarn left" cast off gleaned from the writings of the Yarn Harlot. The thought of that cast off alone kept me sane during the last few rows.
In the end I may have won the battle against an afghan that was determined not to be completed, but it left it's mark when I sustained a minor injury... This is the look of a repetitive strain on the wrist. Say it with me folks. U-G-L-Y!

Does this brace make my hand look fat or what? :P It's hideous, but it keeps me knitting. I'm attributing the injury to knitting too tightly. Not that it's a surprise with all the stress in my life!

So, the wedding itself was delightful and is delightfully over. Thankfully about the same time that the wedding ended I found that Knitty had put up a new issue. I HAD to try my hand at "Perdita" so here is my very own black version of the "bluebell" pattern. Alas I thought that it looked small when I was knitting, and after the afghan shrinkage issue I panicked and added a repeat of the pattern. In the end the pattern was spot on and this bracelet is a little to big for my wrist. I'm thinking it looks like it might want to be a stunning handcrafted bookmark, or a gift to the first person with a 8in wrist who sends me an e-mail with their address. What do you think?
I wish you could see the beadwork in this photo. It's really amazing to me! I can't believe that I managed to figure out lace and beading in the same project. :)

I'm also working on a pair of summer weight socks. This pattern is the one featured in the earlier post with my autographed copy of Niel Gaiman's "Anansi Boys". I purchased it almost a year ago in a little LYS in Saratoga Springs, NY.

I really like the look of heel design, although the ultimate test will be how it feels on!
And with that glorious photo of a sock-butt I say farewell!
What are you up to these days?

Much love,
Kate

PS: I saved the labels from the Afghan yarn but I forgot to write the details down. I'll try to remember for next time. :/ Sorry!